[Statlist] Research Seminar in Statistics | *FRIDAY 10 MARCH 2023* | GSEM, University of Geneva

gsem-support-instituts g@em-@upport-|n@t|tut@ @end|ng |rom un|ge@ch
Mon Mar 6 11:44:37 CET 2023

Dear all,

We are pleased to invite you to our next Research Seminar, organized by Professor Sebastian Engelke on behalf of the Research Center for Statistics. (https://www.unige.ch/gsem/en/research/institutes/rcs/team/)

FRIDAY 10 MARCH 2023 at 11:15 am, Uni Mail M 3393 & Online
Zoom research webinar: https://unige.zoom.us/j/92924332087?pwd=U1U1NFk4dTFCRHBMeWYrSDBQcXBiQT09
Meeting ID: 929 2433 2087
Passcode: 399192

Simulation Based Bayesian Analysis: A Review
Martyn PLUMMER, University of Warwick, UK
https://warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/statistics/staff/academic-research/plummer/

ABSTRACT:

I consider the development of Markov Chain Monte Carlo methods, from the late 1980s Gibbs sampling, to present-day gradient based methods and piecewise deterministic Markov processes.
In parallel, I show how these ideas have been implemented in successive generations of statistical software for Bayesian inference. These software packages have been instrumental in popularizing applied Bayesian modelling across a wide variety of scientific domains. They provide an invaluable service to applied statisticians in hiding the complexities of MCMC from the user while providing a convenient modelling language and tools to summarize the output from a Bayesian model.
As research into new MCMC methods remains very active, it is likely that future generations of software will incorporate new methods to improve the user experience.

> View the Research Seminar agenda: https://www.unige.ch/gsem/en/research/seminars/rcs/

Regards,

Marie-Madeleine

Marie-Madeleine Novo