[Statlist] Reminder: ETH/UZH Research Seminar by Bin Yu, UC Berkeley, 09.09.2022

Maurer Letizia |et|z|@m@urer @end|ng |rom ethz@ch
Wed Sep 7 06:07:35 CEST 2022

We are glad to announce the following talk in the ETH/UZH Research Seminar:

"Complexity, simplicity, and decision trees"
by Bin Yu, UC Berkeley

Time: Friday,  09.09.22 at 14.15 h
Place: ETH Zurich, HG G 19.1

Abstract: Occam's razor is a general principle for science to pursue the simplest explanation or model when the empirical support evidence is the same for the explanations or models under consideration. To quantify simplicy, a complexity measure . is necessary and many such measures have been used in the literature including uniform stability. Both complexity and stability are central to interpretable machine learning. In this talk, we first give an overview of interpretable machine learning and then delve into our recent work on decisions trees, which are especially useful interpretable methods in high-​stake applications such as medicine and public policy. In particular, we show that decision trees are sub-​optimal for additive regression models. To improve upon decision trees, we introduce a new method called Fast Interpretable Greedy-​Tree Sums (FIGS) that fits additive trees while controlling the total number of splits. The state-​of-the-art performance of FIGS will be illustrated through case studies for clinical decision rules.
Seminar website: https://math.ethz.ch/sfs/news-and-events/research-seminar.html

Research Seminar – Seminar for Statistics | ETH Zurich
math.ethz.ch

Organisers: A. Bandeira, P. L. Bühlmann, R. Furrer, L. Held, T. Hothorn, D. Kozbur, M. H. Maathuis, N. Meinshausen, S. van de Geer, M. Wolf