[Statlist] Research Webinar in Statistics *FRIDAY 25 MARCH 2022* GSEM, University of Geneva

gsem-support-instituts g@em-@upport-|n@t|tut@ @end|ng |rom un|ge@ch
Mon Mar 21 09:58:21 CET 2022

Dear All,

We are pleased to invite you to our next Research Webinar.

Looking forward to seeing you

Organized by Prof. Sebastian Engelke on behalf of the Research Center for Statistics (https://www.unige.ch/gsem/en/research/institutes/rcs/)

FRIDAY 25 MARCH 2022 at 11:15am
ONLINE
Zoom research webinar: https://unige.zoom.us/j/92924332087?pwd=U1U1NFk4dTFCRHBMeWYrSDBQcXBiQT09
Meeting ID: 929 2433 2087
Passcode: 399192

The Emergence of Compound Event Analysis as a New Research Frontier
Jakob Zscheischler, Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research - UFZ, Germany
https://www.ufz.de/index.php?en=48052

ABSTRACT:
Over recent years, research on compound weather and climate event has emerged as a new research frontier at the interface of climate science, climate impact research, engineering, and statistics. Compound weather and climate events refer to the combination of multiple drivers and/or hazards that contribute to environmental or societal risk. Compound event analysis combines traditional research on climate extremes with impact-focused bottom-up assessments and novel developments in statistics and machine learning, thereby providing new insights on present-day and future climate risk. In this talk, I will give an overview of compound event analysis and highlight current and future challenges in this exciting field of research.

Visit the website: https://www.unige.ch/gsem/en/research/seminars/rcs/