[Statlist] Reminder: TH Young Data Science Researcher Seminar Zurich, Virtual Seminar by Sohom Bhattacharya, Stanford University, 10.02.22

Maurer Letizia |et|z|@m@urer @end|ng |rom ethz@ch
Wed Feb 2 08:29:20 CET 2022

We are glad to announce the following talk in the virtual ETH Young Data Science Researcher Seminar Zurich

"Global Testing under dependent Bernoullis“
by Sohom Bhattacharya, Stanford University

Time: Thursday, 10 February 2021, 16.00 - 17.00
Place: Zoom at  https://ethz.zoom.us/j/62895316484

Abstract: We consider the problem of detecting whether or not, in a given network, there is a cluster of nodes which exhibit an unusual behavior. When the nodes correspond to independent Bernoulli random variables, such detection problems are well-​studied in literature. How-​ ever, a fundamental question in this  eld is to study how dependence characterized by a network modulate the behavior of such problems. Formally, we will address the detection question when the nodes of a network correspond to Bernoulli variables with dependence modeled by graphical models (Ising models). Our results not only provide sharp constants of detection in these cases and thereby pinpoint the precise relationship of the detection problem with the underlying dependence, but also demonstrate how to be agnostic over the strength of dependence present in the respective models. This is based on joint work with Rajarshi Mukherjee and Gourab Ray.

M. Azadkia, G. Chinot, J. Hörrmann, M. Löffler, A. Taeb, N. Zhivotovskiy

Seminar website: https://math.ethz.ch/sfs/news-and-events/young-data-science.html

Young Data Science Researcher Seminar Zurich – Seminar for Statistics | ETH Zurich
math.ethz.ch