[Statlist] Interest in creating join ETH summer school

Tse Timmy Rong Tian t|mmy@t@e @end|ng |rom ep||@ch
Mon Sep 20 12:29:23 CEST 2021

Dear Stats/DS Colleagues,

My name is Tim and I am a PhD student of statistics at EPFL supervised by Prof. Anthony C. Davison. I would like to submit an application to create a summer school between EPFL and ETHZ (please see [https://tinyurl.com/4mh5kkxs] for more details). In order to do that, I need to find a doctoral candidate at ETHZ to join an organizing committee (OC) for ETHZ and I will be the main EPFL person for the OC. Together, then, we will jointly create and organize this summer school.

A little bit about myself and the (general) topic I have in mind for the summer school (hopefully this will become more clear after some discussion and negotiation with the OC from ETHZ). I come from machine learning (ML) and currently I work in statistics. Naturally, then, I work in the intersection of the two fields and therefore, I am looking to create a summer school exploring the relationships between the two and efforts to bridge the two fields a bit closer together. Some specific topics that come to my mind would include:
    -hypothesis testing for irregular models,
    -conformal prediction,
    -interpretable ML,
    -interpretable ML for high-stakes applications,
    -theoretical understanding of ML, and
    -statistical learning.
Of course, this list is tentative and subject to changes and the details will need to be fleshed out (i.e., after input and discussion from the OC member(s) from ETHZ).

Therefore, I am looking for doctoral candidates in statistics/data science/computer science that are interested and ideally work in these areas or related areas and are also interested in organizing a summer school with me. I will also need the support of your thesis director (details on the webpage I linked above). The deadline for the application is October 1; it is a bit tight, but I want to make it. If you are interested, send me an email at timmy.tse using epfl.ch and we can discuss further. Thanks and talk soon!

Tim