[Statlist] Research seminar in statistics FRIDAY MARCH 31st 2017, GSEM University of Geneva

Karen Longden Roure K@ren@Longden @end|ng |rom un|ge@ch
Tue Mar 28 07:32:51 CEST 2017

Dear All,

We are pleased to invite you to our next Research Seminar -

Looking forward to seeing you

Organisers :
E. Cantoni - D. La Vecchia - E. Ronchetti -
S. Sperlich - F. Trojani - M.-P. Victoria-Feser

FRIDAY MARCH 31st 2017 at 11h15, Uni-Mail M5220

Mixed Generalized Akaike Information for Small Area Models
Maria-Jose Lombardia  - University of Coruna, Spain

ABSTRACT :
In this talk, we introduce the Mixed Generalized Akaike Information Criterion, xGAIC. It is derived from a log-likelihood that considers the focus on the random effect and the variability between the areas; and from a generalized degree of freedom measure, as a model complexity penalty, which is calculated by bootstrap. To study the performance of xGAIC, we consider three popular mixed models in small area inference: a Fay-Herriot model, a monotone model and a penalized spline model. We show its relevance in practice, with two real applications: the first of socioeconomic interest and the second in the field of health. In the second case, the problem of selection between these explanatory variables is solved simultaneously to the problem of the specification of the functional form between the linear, monotone or spline options.

Visit the website: http://www.stat-center.unige.ch/ressem.html

Karen Longden
Program Coordinator
MSc. in Management, MSc. in Economics, MSc. in Statistics
Universit� de Gen�ve, Uni-Mail
Facult� d'Economie & Management, GSEM
40, bd. du Pont d'Arve, 1211 Gen�ve 4
T�l:  +41.22.379.8109 (10h-14h)