[Statlist] Colloquium SMA J. Rougier 30/06 17:15 CM4, EPFL

Schaffner Portillo Maroussia m@rou@@|@@@ch@||nerport|||o @end|ng |rom ep||@ch
Tue Jun 21 09:38:17 CEST 2016

Chers tous​,

Jeudi 30 juin (dans dix jours) à 17h15 en CM4<http://plan.epfl.ch/?request_locale=fr&room=cm4&domain=places>, nous aurons le plaisir d'entendre Jonathan Rougier de Bristol (invité par Anthony Davison) pour le colloquium. Titre et résumé ci-dessous.

Bien à vous,

Clément Hongler

------------------------------------

Dear All,

On Thursday, June 30th (in 10 days from now) at 17h15 in CM4<http://plan.epfl.ch/?request_locale=fr&room=cm4&domain=places>, we will have the pleasure to hear Jonathan Rougier (invited by Anthony Davison) for the colloquium. Please find the title and abstract below.

All the best,

Clément Hongler

A statistician’s viewpoint on weather, climate, and climate simulations

There is plenty of agreement about what we mean by ‘weather’, some agreement about ‘climate’, and quite a lot of confusion about ‘climate simulations’ – not about what they are, but about what they mean. Statisticians are very familiar with the underlying issues, which centre on uncertainty and our attempts to define and quantify it. I propose that climate simulators represent expert opinions about future weather, and should be treated accordingly. This in turn requires that we expose the inherently probabilistic nature of a climate simulator, so that we can interpret it as offering a set of bets on future weather outcomes. I will assess current practice in climate science from this perspective.

http://sb.epfl.ch/Mathematics-colloquia
http://memento.epfl.ch/event/a-statisticians-viewpoint-on-weather-climate-and-c/

​