[Statlist] PhD Position offers

Olivier de Viron o||v|er@de_v|ron @end|ng |rom un|v-|r@|r
Mon Jan 4 09:22:30 CET 2016

Hello,
Could you please send the following message to the stat list?
Thanks a lot,
odv
We propose a PhD thesis grant in geodesy (Earth Sciences), which will
study what geostatistics
can bring to geodesy.

Geodesy is the part of Earth sciences which study the shape of the
Earth, the gravity
potential, and the orientation of Earth in space, together with the
space and time fluctuations of those quantities.
Geodesy is a powerful tool for geoscience studies, due to its accuracy
and stability. Up to now, geostatistics
methods where not much used in the geodetic studies, and there were only
a few studies using those tools on
the networks of GPS stations, for example. To further improve both
accuracy and stability, and to go deeper in the understanding of the
geophysical processes associated with the flucutations of the geodetic
observables, it is required to include the impact of climate phenomena
in the system, which is not an easy thing as the climate models do not
have the required precision, partly because they are not build to
satisfy the geodetic requirement, such as the mass conservation.
Applying spatial correlation studies on geodetic data, we can get
information and separate the climate impact on geodetic data, as they
are characterized by reagional scale correlation, from more local
phenomenon, which would includes discontinuities in the time series
related to station issues for example. Geostatistic method also allow to
filter out some signal based on their auto/cross-correlation. Those
methods can thus also be seen as a source separation method, which a
very important issue presently in geodesy. We plan to apply those
methods to several datasets, separately and jointly. (1) Our lab is in
charge of an international sea level observation service (SONEL), which
would be our first dataset, in order to inverstigate how this can help
in separating the climate related phenomena from other sources. (2)
Preliminary studies tend to indicate that it would be possible to use
auto-corrlation based filtering to correct for the striping noise in
GRACE associated with the tidal phenomena. (3) A first set of tests
indicate that variogram studies is an excellent detector of
discontinuities in GPS time series; we plan to use that method to
several local and regional solutions, in order to dertermine its jump
detection efficiency; up to now, jump detection is mostly developed for
mon-station time series.

The laboratory is located in La Rochelle. The laboratory brings together
scientists from different research fields (earth sciences, biology,
ecology, history, geography and
biochemistry) to study a common object: the coastal areas.

For more information:
Olivier de viron
+ 33 5 46 50 76 34
olivier.de_viron using univ-lr.fr <mailto:olivier.de_viron using univ-lr.fr>
LIttoral ENvironnement et Sociétés (LIENSs)
*Université de La Rochelle*
Bâtiment ILE
2, rue Olympe de Gouges
17000 La Rochelle