[Statlist] Research seminar in statistics March 4th 2016, GSEM University of Geneva

Eva Cantoni Ev@@C@nton| @end|ng |rom un|ge@ch
Mon Feb 29 12:57:52 CET 2016

Dear All,

We are pleased to invite you to our next Research Seminar –

Looking forward to seeing you,

Organisers :
E. Cantoni - D. La Vecchia - E. Ronchetti -
S. Sperlich - F. Trojani - M-P. Victoria-Feser

Friday March 4th, 2016 at 11h15 - Room M 5220, Uni Mail (40, bd du
Pont-d'Arve)

Joint estimation of location and scale for robust high-dimensional
linear regression

Po-Ling Loh, Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania

ABSTRACT:
We present recent and ongoing work on robust high-dimensional linear
regression. In the first part of the talk, we discuss results concerning
robust location estimation in a high-dimensional linear model, based on
regularized M-estimation with a proper choice of loss function. Our main
result is to show that regularized M-estimators produce statistically
consistent solutions regardless of the distribution of the additive
errors, provided the loss function has a bounded derivative. However,
this result implicitly assumes that the scale of the additive error is
known up to constant factors. We next address the problem of jointly
estimating location and scale in a robust fashion. We develop
statistical error bounds in settings where the covariates follow a
sub-Gaussian distribution, and discuss extensions to settings involving
leverage points, as well.

Visit the website: http://www.stat-center.unige.ch/ressem.html

Karen Longden Roure
Program Coordinator
MSc. in Management, MSc. in Economics, MSc. in Statistics
Université de Genève, Uni-Mail
Faculté d'Economie & Management, GSEM
40, bd. du Pont d'Arve, 1211 Genève 4
Tél:  +41.22.379.8109 (10h-14h)