[Statlist] Reminder : Monday, February 22, 2016 with Nadler Boaz (Weizmann Institute of Science, Israel)

Maurer Letizia |et|z|@m@urer @end|ng |rom ethz@ch
Fri Feb 19 08:54:26 CET 2016

REMINDER

E-mail from the  Statlist using stat.ch<mailto:Statlist using stat.ch>  mailing list
ETH and University of Zurich

Organisers:

Proff. P. Bühlmann - L. Held - T. Hothorn - M. Maathuis -
N. Meinshausen - S. van de Geer - M. Wolf
We are glad to announce the following talk:

Monday, February 22, 2016 at 11.00h  ETH Zurich HG G 19.141
with Nadler Boaz (Weizmann Institute of Science, Israel)

Title:

Unsupervised Ensemble Learning

Abstract:

In various applications, one is given the advice or predictions of several classifiers of unknown reliability, over multiple questions or queries. This scenario is
different from the standard supervised setting where classifier accuracy can be assessed from available labeled training or validation data,
and raises several questions: given only the predictions of several classifiers of unknown accuracies, over a large set of unlabeled test data, is it possible to
a) reliably rank them, and
b) construct a meta-classifier more accurate than any
individual classifier in the ensemble?

In this talk we'll show that under various independence assumptions between
classifier errors, this high dimensional data hides simple low dimensional
structures. In particular, we'll present simple spectral methods to address
the above questions, and derive new unsupervised spectral meta-learners.
We'll prove these methods are asymptotically consistent when
the model assumptions hold, and also present their empirical success on a variety
of unsupervised learning problems.

This abstract is also to be found under the following link: http://stat.ethz.ch/events/research_seminar