[Statlist] Research seminar in statistics October 23rd 2015, GSEM University of Geneva

Eva Cantoni Ev@@C@nton| @end|ng |rom un|ge@ch
Tue Oct 20 09:54:00 CEST 2015

Organisers :
E. Cantoni - D. La Vecchia - E. Ronchetti -
S. Sperlich - F. Trojani - M-P. Victoria-Feser

Friday October 23rd, 2015
at 11h15 - Room M 5220, Uni Mail (40, bd du Pont-d'Arve)

Amplitude and Phase Variation of Point Processes
Victor Panaretos – EPFL

ABSTRACT:
We develop a framework for the study of the problem of registration of
point processes subjected to warping, known as the problem of separation
of amplitude and phase variation. The amplitude variation of a real
random function corresponds to its random oscillations in the y-axis,
typically encapsulated by its (co)variation around a mean level. In
contrast, its phase variation refers to fluctuations in the x-axis,
often caused by random time changes. We consider the problem of
identifiably formalising similar notions for a point process, and of
nonparametrically separating them based on realisations of iid copies of
the phase-varying point process. The key element to our approach is the
extension of classical phase variation assumptions from the functional
to the generalised functional case, and their subsequent interpretation
through the prism of the theory of optimal transportation of measure. We
demonstrate that this induces a canonical geometry compatible with the
warping problem and we prove that it allows for consistent and
asymptotically Gaussian registration (based on joint work with Yoav
Zemel, EPFL)

Visit the website: http://www.stat-center.unige.ch/ressem.html

Karen Longden Roure
Program Coordinator
MSc. in Management, MSc. in Economics, MSc. in Statistics
Université de Genève, Uni-Mail
Faculté d'Economie & Management, GSEM
40, bd. du Pont d'Arve, 1211 Genève 4
Tél:  +41.22.379.8109 (10h-14h)