[Statlist] Friday, November 6, 2015 with Egil Ferkingstad (NTNU Trondheim, Norway / University of Iceland)

Sekretariat SfS @ekret@r|@t @end|ng |rom @t@t@m@th@ethz@ch
Fri Nov 6 10:24:58 CET 2015

Corrigenda: Please note the correct room number is HG G 19.1

Best regards

ETH Zürich
Seminar für Statistik
Letizia Maurer, HG G10.3
Rämistrasse 101
CH-8092 Zurich
mail: sekretariat using stat.math.ethz.ch
phone: +41 44 632 34 38
fax: +41 44 632 12 28

E-mail from the  Statlist using stat.ch <mailto:Statlist using stat.ch>  mailing list

ETH and University of Zurich

Organisers:

Proff. P. Bühlmann - L. Held - T. Hothorn - M. Maathuis -
N. Meinshausen - S. van de Geer - M. Wolf

We are glad to announce the following talk:

Friday, November 6, 2015 at 15.15h  ETH Zurich HG G 19.1
with Egil Ferkingstad (NTNU Trondheim, Norway / University of Iceland)
Title:

Recent progress in the R-INLA project for Bayesian computation

Abstract:

After briefly introducing the INLA approach for Bayesian computation, I will discuss two topics we're currently working on. Topic 1: A new copula-based correction (http://arxiv.org/abs/1503.07307 <http://arxiv.org/abs/1503.07307>) for difficult cases, allowing us to push the boundaries of applicability of INLA while adding minimal computational cost. Topic 2: Providing sensible, default, weakly informative priors. I will present the ideas behind Penalized Complexity priors (http://arxiv.org/abs/1403.4630 <http://arxiv.org/abs/1403.4630>), focusing on work in progress showing how the idea of distributing the overall variance between different model components gives a good strategy for specifying joint priors for hierarchical models.

This abstract is also to be found under the following link: http://stat.ethz.ch/events/research_seminar <http://stat.ethz.ch/events/research_seminar>