[Statlist] Research seminar in statistics May 15th 2015, GSEM University of Geneva

Eva Cantoni Ev@@C@nton| @end|ng |rom un|ge@ch
Mon May 11 12:09:38 CEST 2015

Organisers :
E. Cantoni - E. Ronchetti - S. Sperlich - M-P. Victoria-Feser

Friday May 15th, 2015
at 11h15 - Room M 5220, Uni Mail (40, bd du Pont-d'Arve)

The Asymptotic Behaviour of the Residual Sum of Squares in Models with
Multiple Break Points

Alastair HALL
University of Manchester

ABSTRACT :
Models with multiple discrete breaks in parameters are usually estimated
via least squares. This paper,  firstly, derives the asymptotic
expectation of the residual sum of squares, the form of which indicates
that the number of estimated break points and the number of regression
parameters affect the expectation in different ways. Secondly, we
propose a statistic for testing the joint hypothesis that the breaks
occur at specified points in the sample and show that the statistic has
a limiting null distribution that is non-standard but simulatable. In an
important special case, the statistic can be normalized to make it
pivotal and we provide percentiles for the associated limiting
distribution. Our analytical results cover linear and nonlinear
regression models with exogenous regressors estimated via Ordinary (or
Nonlinear) Least Squares and a linear model in which some regressors are
endogenous and the model is estimated via Two Stage Least Squares. An
application to US monetary policy rejects the common assumption that
identified breaks are associated with changes in the chair of the Fed.

Time permitting I will explore an application of the results to the
construction of information criteria for the estimation of the number of
breaks.

(paper joint with Denise Osborn and Nikolaos Sakkas)-

Visit the website: http://www.stat-center.unige.ch/ressem.html

--
Prof. Eva Cantoni
Research Center for Statistics and