[Statlist] Research seminar in statistics, GSEM, University of Geneva

Eva Cantoni Ev@@C@nton| @end|ng |rom un|ge@ch
Thu Sep 25 11:47:30 CEST 2014

Organisers : .
E. Cantoni - E. Ronchetti - S. Sperlich - M-P. Victoria-Feser

Friday October 3rd, 2014
at 11h15
Room M 5220, Uni Mail (40, bd du Pont-d'Arve)

Prof. Olga VITEK
(Northeastern University, Boston)

Title: Statistical methods and tools for quantitative mass
spectrometry-based proteomics

Abstract:
Mass spectrometry-based proteomics studies proteins in complex
biological mixtures. Stochastic variation and uncertainty are hallmarks
of proteomic experiments, and statistical experimental design and
analysis are key. To be practical, the statistical methods must
accommodate a diverse family of experiment types. To be accurate, they
must correctly reflect the specialized stochastic structure of each
experimental workflow.

This talk will introduce mass spectrometry-based proteomic workflows and
the associated statistical challenges. We will discuss the use of
standard statistical tools in this context, as well as the opportunities
that this area offers for applied statistical research. As a specific
example, we will discuss the R package MSstats, which implements a
flexible family of linear mixed effects models for relative
quantification of proteins from spectral features.

Visit the website: http://www.stat-center.unige.ch/ressem.html

--
Prof. Eva Cantoni
Research Center for Statistics and