[Statlist] Research seminar in statistics, GSEM, University of Geneva

Eva Cantoni Ev@@C@nton| @end|ng |rom un|ge@ch
Mon Oct 27 09:57:38 CET 2014

Organisers : .
E. Cantoni - E. Ronchetti - S. Sperlich - M-P. Victoria-Feser

Friday October 31st, 2014
at 11h15 - Room M 5220, Uni Mail (40, bd du Pont-d'Arve)

Chris FIELD
Dalhousie University, Halifax, NS Canada

Title: Modelling Microbial Multinomial Time or Space Series

Abstract:
This talk is motivated by issues arising from some microbial oceanic
data that researchers have talked to me about recently. The data
typically consists of counts of OTU's (operational taxonomic units) from
ocean samples varying either in space or time. We can think of the data
as a multinomial series where the number of cells is large (typically
1000 or more). I want to describe how I approach the problem of finding
an appropriate model and analysis. As I'm still in  the preliminary
stages of this research, I'll be posting more questions than answers but
I feel the scientific questions are important and the statistical issues
challenging. I look forward to continuing discussions with anyone
interested in the research. I should note that although the data I have
is from the ocean, similar issues will arise with microbial data coming
from many other environments such as the human gut.

Visit the website: http://www.stat-center.unige.ch/ressem.html

--
Prof. Eva Cantoni
Research Center for Statistics and