[Statlist] Research seminar in statistics November 14th 2014, GSEM, University of Geneva

Eva Cantoni Ev@@C@nton| @end|ng |rom un|ge@ch
Mon Nov 10 14:28:19 CET 2014

Organisers :
E. Cantoni - E. Ronchetti - S. Sperlich - M-P. Victoria-Feser

Friday November 14th, 2014
at 11h15 - Room M 5220, Uni Mail (40, bd du Pont-d'Arve)

Ingrid Van Keilegom
Université catholique, Louvain

Semiparametric Conditional Quantile Estimation through Copula-Based
Multivariate Models

Abstract:
We consider a new approach in quantile regression modeling based on the
copula function that defines the dependence structure between the
variables of interest. The key idea of this approach is to rewrite the
characterization of a regression quantile in terms of a copula and
marginal distributions. After the copula and the marginal distributions
are estimated, the new estimator is obtained as the weighted quantile of
the response variable in the model. The proposed conditional estimator
has three main advantages: it applies to both iid and time series data,
it is automatically monotonic across quantiles, and, unlike other
copula-based methods, it can be directly applied to the multiple
covariates case without introducing any extra complications. We show the
asymptotic properties of our estimator when the copula is estimated by
maximizing the pseudo log-likelihood and the margins are estimated
nonparametrically including the case where the copula family is
misspecified. We also present the finite sample performance of the
estimator and illustrate the usefulness of our proposal by an
application to the historical volatilities of Google and Yahoo
companies. (This is joint work with Hohsuk Noh and Anouar El Ghouch.)

Visit the website: http://www.stat-center.unige.ch/ressem.html

--
Prof. Eva Cantoni
Research Center for Statistics and