[Statlist] Next talk: Friday, May 9, 2014 with Iain Currie (Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh)

Rey-Lutz Cecilia rey @end|ng |rom @t@t@m@th@ethz@ch
Mon May 5 22:15:29 CEST 2014

E-mail from the  Statlist using stat.ch  mailing list
ETH and University of Zurich

Organisers:
Profs. P. Bühlmann - R. Furrer - L. Held - T. Hothorn - H.R. Kuensch - M. Maathuis -
N. Meinshausen - S. van de Geer - M. Wolf

We are glad to announce the following talk

Friday, May 9, 2014 at 15.15h  ETH Zurich HG G 19.1
Title:
GLAM: Generalized Linear Array Models

Abstract:
A Generalized Linear Array Model (GLAM) is a generalized linear model where the data lie on an array and the model matrix can be expressed as a Kronecker product. GLAM is conceptually attractive since its high-speed, low-footprint algorithms exploit the structure of both the data and the model. GLAMs have been applied in mortality studies, density estimation, spatial-temporal smoothing,variety trials, etc. In this talk we

(1) describe the GLAM ideas and algorithms in the setting of the original motivating example, two-dimensional smooth model of mortality,

(2) give an extended discussion of a recent application to the Lee-Carter model, an important model in the forecasting of mortality.