[Statlist] RESEARCH SEMINAR IN STATISTICS - UNIVERSITY OF GENEVA

Eva Cantoni Ev@@C@nton| @end|ng |rom un|ge@ch
Mon Mar 31 19:31:44 CEST 2014

RESEARCH SEMINAR IN STATISTICS - UNIVERSITY OF GENEVA

Organisers : .
E. Cantoni - E. Ronchetti - S. Sperlich - M-P. Victoria-Feser

Friday April 4th, 2014
at 11h15
Room M 5220, Uni Mail (40, bd du Pont-d'Arve)

Mark HANNAY
Université de Genève

"Confidence sets for models in the linear setting"

Abstract:
Model selection might, at first glance, seem clear. Out of a list of
possible models we want to select the "best" or a subset of "best"
models. This notion of "best" however is not well defined, since it
obviously depends on the initial goals of the selection. Such goals
might include : finding the smallest "true" model, finding the "best"
model for prediction or even finding the model with minimal MSE of the
estimate. Throughout, we will focus on prediction.
One common approach is to define the "best" model as the model with
maximum mean expected log likelihood (MELL).
This is a useful definition, when trying to optimize prediction, since
the MELL rates how well the estimate of a specific model would perform
on new data.
Some criteria already exist to minimize the MELL, most notably the AIC
and BIC criteria. Both these criteria are very useful in providing a
single model. However alone they do not provide any account on the
variability of the selection. Just as for estimation of parameters we
would like to have something resembling confidence intervals for model
selection.
By using the MELL, we propose confidence sets for models in the linear
setting. These confidence sets will then provide us with a notion of
variability in model selection with confidence levels.
Although we mainly focus on the linear case, these results can easily be
extended to other types of models.

Visit the website: http://www.stat-center.unige.ch/ResSem.html

--
Prof. Eva Cantoni