[Statlist] Research seminar in statistics December 12th 2014, GSEM, University of Geneva

Eva Cantoni Ev@@C@nton| @end|ng |rom un|ge@ch
Mon Dec 8 10:19:58 CET 2014

Organisers :
E. Cantoni - E. Ronchetti - S. Sperlich - M-P. Victoria-Feser

Friday December 12th, 2014
at 11h15 - Room M 5220, Uni Mail (40, bd du Pont-d'Arve)

Carlos de Porres
Université de Genève

TITLE: Robust moment selection in GMM : The IV case

ABSTRACT:
Inference with Generalized Method of Moments estimators (GMM) depends on
the underlying properties of the moments we use. In this talk, we study
classical moment selection criteria (MSC) that allow us to discriminate
between Inconsistent and Consistent moment conditions. These procedures
include MSC-AIC, MSC-BIC, MSC-HQIC, Downward and Upward Testing which
are based on the corresponding classical M-estimation model selection
criteria. We present the local robustness properties of consistent and
inconsistent orthogonality conditions and show that most of the GMM
estimators that exist in the literature are not locally robust. This
lack of robustness is due to an unbounded influence function and can
lead to misleading moment selection. Based on the conditions on local
robustness we propose a general way to construct Robust Moment Selection
Criteria (RMSC). We provide an explicit construction of this methodology
in a linear instrumental variable setting. We compare MSC and RMSC
through simulations in the linear IV context and in a simple application.

Visit the website: http://www.stat-center.unige.ch/ressem.html

--
Prof. Eva Cantoni
Research Center for Statistics and