[Statlist] RESEARCH SEMINAR IN STATISTICS - UNIVERSITY OF GENEVA

Eva Cantoni Ev@@C@nton| @end|ng |rom un|ge@ch
Mon Apr 28 12:55:42 CEST 2014

RESEARCH SEMINAR IN STATISTICS - UNIVERSITY OF GENEVA

Organisers : .
E. Cantoni - E. Ronchetti - S. Sperlich - M-P. Victoria-Feser

Friday May 2nd, 2014
at 11h15
Room M 5220, Uni Mail (40, bd du Pont-d'Arve)

Xavier DE LUNA
Umeå University Sweden

"Testing for the unconfoundedness assumption using an instrument"

Abstract:
The identification of average causal effects of a treatment in
observational studies is typically based either on the unconfoundedness
assumption (all confounders are observed) or on the availability of an
instrument (e.g., a variable affecting the treatment but not directly
the outcome). When available, instruments may also be used to test for
the unconfoundedness assumption, both in a parametric and nonparametric
setting. In this talk, we present a set of assumptions on an
instrumental variable, which allows us to test for the unconfoundedness
assumption. These assumptions are weaker than classical instrumental
assumptions, and for instance they do not necessarily yield
nonparametric identification of an average causal effect. We also
propose a test statistic for the unconfoundedness assumption based on
the instrumental assumptions introduced. An area of application of our
results is the case of a randomized treatment with non-compliance where
the randomized treatment assignment can be used as an instrument to test
whether comparing those actually treated and not treated is not
confounded by unobserved covariates. Together with the theoretical
results we present simulation experiments and an application to an
observational study where the interest lies in evaluating the effect of
job practice on employment.

Joint work with Per Johansson.

Visit the website: http://www.stat-center.unige.ch/ResSem.html

--