[Statlist] Next talk: Tuesday, October 22, 2013 with Po-Ling Loh; 12.15h

Cecilia Rey rey @end|ng |rom @t@t@m@th@ethz@ch
Thu Oct 17 09:22:59 CEST 2013

E-mail from the  Statlist using stat.ch  mailing list
ETH and University of Zurich

Organisers:
Proff. P. Bühlmann - L. Held - T. Hothorn - H.R. Kuensch - M. Maathuis -
N. Meinshausen - S. van de Geer - M. Wolf

We are glad to announce the following talk

Tuesday, October 22, 2013, 12.15h  ETH Zurich HG G 19.1

with Po-Ling Loh, Seminar für Statistik, ETH Zürich

Title:
Local optima of nonconvex regularized M-estimators

Abstract:
We present recent results concerning local optima of various regularized M-estimators, where both loss and penalty functions are allowed to be nonconvex. We show that whenever the loss function satisfies restricted strong convexity and the penalty function satisfies suitable regularity conditions, all local optima of the composite objective function lie within statistical precision of the true parameter vector. Applications of interest include the corrected Lasso for errors-in-variables models and regression in generalized linear models with nonconvex regularizers such as SCAD and MCP. We also show that a simple adaptation of composite gradient descent may be used to efficiently optimize such nonconvex objectives.

This is joint work with Martin Wainwright.