[Statlist] Next talk: Friday, December 6, 2013 with Mrs Jun Mikyoung, Texas A&M University, 15.15h , HG G 19.1

Cecilia Rey rey @end|ng |rom @t@t@m@th@ethz@ch
Wed Dec 4 09:04:52 CET 2013

E-mail from the  Statlist using stat.ch  mailing list
ETH and University of Zurich

Organisers:
Proff. P. Bühlmann - R. Furrer - L. Held - T. Hothorn - H.R. Kuensch - M. Maathuis -
N. Meinshausen - S. van de Geer - M. Wolf

We are glad to announce the following talk

Friday, December 6, 2013, 15.15h  ETH Zurich HG G 19.1
with Mrs Jun Mikyoung, Texas A&M University, Department of Statistics, College Station, TX

Title:
Matérn-based nonstationary cross-covariance models for global processes

Abstract:
Many spatial processes in environmental applications, such as climate variables and climate model errors on a global scale, exhibit complex nonstationary dependence structure, not only in their marginal covariance but their cross-covariance. Flexible cross-covariance models for processes on a global scale are critical for accurate description of each spatial processes as well as their cross-dependence and for improved prediction. We propose various ways for producing  cross-covariance models, based on Matérn covariance model class, that are suitable for describing prominent nonstationary characteristics of the global processes. In particular, we seek nonstationary version of Matérn covariance models whose smoothness parameters vary over space, coupled with differential operators approach for modeling large-scale nonstationarity. We compare their performances to some of existing models in terms of the aic and spatial prediction in two applications problems: joint modeling of surface temperature and precipitation, and joint modeling of errors of climate model ensembles.