[Statlist] Next talks: Monday, September 2, 2013 with Julien Gagneur, Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich (LMU)

Cecilia Rey rey @end|ng |rom @t@t@m@th@ethz@ch
Tue Aug 27 16:16:47 CEST 2013

E-mail from the  Statlist using stat.ch  mailing list
ETH and University of Zurich

Organisers:
Proff. P. Bühlmann - L. Held - T. Hothorn - H.R. Kuensch - M. Maathuis -
N. Meinshausen - S. van de Geer - M. Wolf

We are glad to announce the following talk

Monday, September 2, 2013, 11.15h  ETH Zurich HG G 19.1

with Julien Gagneur, Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich (LMU)

Title:
Model-based Gene Set Analysis and Systems genetics with environment

Abstract:
I will present two studies illustrating our research activities.

1. The interpretation of data-driven experiments in genomics often involves a search for biological categories that are enriched for the responder genes identified by the experiments. With Model-based Gene Set Analysis (MGSA), we tackle the problem by turning the question differently. Instead of searching for all significantly enriched groups, we search for a minimal set of groups that can explain the data.

2. Systems genetics with environment. We show how non-additive effects between genotype and environment can be exploited for causal inference in molecular networks. Using genome-wide perturbation assays in yeast, we experimentally demonstrate the validity of the approach.

Bio: Julien Gagneur has a background in applied mathematics. His contribution includes the development of computational methods for a wide range of genomic application (metabolic and protein network, gene set enrichment, transcription) and insights into gene regulation mechanisms from genome-wide data (cis-regulatory modules, antisense expression). His lab, started in July 2012 at the gene center in Munich, focuses on computational approaches to understand mechanisms of gene regulation and their phenotypic impact from genome-wide assays.

http://www.gagneur.genzentrum.lmu.de