[Statlist] Next talk: Friday, October 19, 2012, with Gabor Lugosi, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Barcelona

Cecilia Rey rey @end|ng |rom @t@t@m@th@ethz@ch
Mon Oct 15 10:06:02 CEST 2012

ETH and University of Zurich

Proff. P. Buehlmann -  L. Held - H.R. Kuensch -
M. Maathuis -  S. van de Geer - M. Wolf

We are glad to announce the following talk
Fridayy, October 19, 2012, 15.15h, HG G 19.1

by Gabor Lugosi, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Barcelona

Titel:
Detection of correlations in high dimension

Abstract
We consider the problem of finding information in high-dimensional noisy data. Our goal is to understand the possibilities and limitations of such correlation detection problems. The mathematical analysis reveals some interesting phase transitions. We also discuss an interesting connection with random geometric graphs.
(The talk is mostly based on joint work with Ery Arias-Castro and Sebasiten Bubeck.)

The abstract is also to be found here:  http://stat.ethz.ch/events/research_seminar