[Statlist] Next talks: July 2 and July 4, 2012 from 10.00h-12.00h in G 19.1

Cecilia Rey rey @end|ng |rom @t@t@m@th@ethz@ch
Wed Jun 27 10:00:35 CEST 2012

Announcement

FIM Minicourse on Causal Graphical Models and Counterfactuals
  by Thomas Richardson, University of Washington

Monday, July 2, 2012 and Wednesday 4, 2012,
10.00h - 12.00h , HG G 19.1

Absract:
In this series of lectures we will first introduce the potential
outcome approach to causal models. We will then introduce multivariate
statistical models based on Directed Acyclic Graphs (DAGs), reviewing
their basic Markov properties. We will then provide a causal
interpretation for DAGs in terms of potential outcomes, relating this
to the back-door formula and more generally, the do-calculus of Pearl.

We will then consider two problems that arise in the context of a DAG
model when we only observe a marginal distribution. First we consider
the non-parametric dentification of causal effects, and describe a
simple complete algorithm for this problem. Second, we will describe a
general class of non-parametric constraints that are implied to hold
in the observed marginal distribution, which we call the nested Markov
property. We will describe parameterizations of some of the related
statistical models.

Finally, time permitting, we will describe approaches that have been
proposed for dropping the assumption of acyclicity, describing some of
the practical and theoretical obstacles.

Prerequisites: Some basic familiarity with statistical problems.

The abstract is also to be found here:  http://stat.ethz.ch/events/research_seminar