[Statlist] Next talk: Friday, November 25, 2011 with Yanyuan Ma, Texas A&M University

Susanne Kaiser-Heinzmann k@|@er @end|ng |rom @t@t@m@th@ethz@ch
Fri Nov 18 10:55:50 CET 2011

ETH and University of Zurich

Proff. P. Buehlmann -  L. Held - H.R. Kuensch -
M. Maathuis -  S. van de Geer - M. Wolf

We are glad to announce the following talk
Friday, November 25, 2011, 15.15h, HG G 19.1

by Yanyuan Ma,  Texas A&M University, Department of Statistics

Title:

A Semiparametric View to Dimension Reduction

Abstract:

We provide a novel and completely different approach to dimension
reduction problems from the existing literature.  We cast the
dimension reduction problem in a semiparametric estimation framework
and derive estimating equations. Viewing this problem from the new
angle allows us to derive a rich class of estimators, and obtain the
classical dimension reduction techniques as special cases in this
class. The semiparametric approach also reveals that in the inverse
regression context while keeping the estimation structure intact, the
common assumption of linearity and/or constant variance on the
covariates can be removed at the cost of performing additional
nonparametric regression.  The semiparametric estimators without these
common assumptions are illustrated through simulation studies and a
real data example.

The abstract is also to be found here:  http://stat.ethz.ch/events/research_seminar
ETH Z�rich
Seminar f�r Statistik