[Statlist] Next talk: Friday, April 1, 2011, with Nicolas Vayatis

Cecilia Rey rey @end|ng |rom @t@t@m@th@ethz@ch
Mon Mar 28 09:32:09 CEST 2011

ETH and University of Zurich

Proff. P. Buehlmann -  R. Furrer - L. Held - H.R. Kuensch -
M. Maathuis -  S. van de Geer - M. Wolf

We are glad to announce the following talk
Friday, April 1, 2011, 15.15 HG G 19.1

  by Nicolas Vayatis, Centre de Math�matiques et de leurs Applications,
Ecole Normale Sup�rieure de Cachan (CMLA de Cachan)

Titel:
Nonparametric scoring and ranking trees

Abstract:
In a world of overwhelming information, ranking has become one of the
most critical tasks for high level data processing. In the talk, we
focus on the problem of learning to rank high dimensional vectors
based on past data with binary feedback, say positive and negative.
 From a mathematical point of view, the problem is to find a real-
valued scoring function which leads to the highest possible density of
positive observations among the highest values of the scoring
function. We discuss the nature of optimal scoring functions,
performance measures, statistical aspects and practical algorithms
inspired from decision trees and random forests.

The abstract is also to be found here:  http://stat.ethz.ch/events/

ETH Z�rich
Seminar f�r Statistik
Cecilia Rey-Lutz, HG G10.3
R�mistrasse 101
CH-8092 Zurich
mail: rey using stat.math.ethz.ch
phone: +41 44 632 3438/fax: +41 44 632 1228