[Statlist] Next talks: Friday, December 17, 2010

Cecilia Rey rey @end|ng |rom @t@t@m@th@ethz@ch
Tue Dec 14 12:28:54 CET 2010

ETH and University of Zurich

Proff. P. B�hlmann - L. Held - H.R. Kuensch - M. Maathuis - S. van de Geer

We are glad to announce the following talks on
*
*

*Friday, December 17, 2010, *
*
- 14.15h *with *Mrs Caroline Uhler, University of California Berkeley and*

*- 15.15h *with *Mr Victor Panaretos, EPFL Lausanne*

*
**ETH Zurich HG G 19.1*

1) Title and Abstract of *Caroline Uhler:

Geometry of maximum likelihood estimation in Gaussian graphical models

*We study maximum likelihood estimation in Gaussian graphical models
from the perspective of convex algebraic geometry. It is well-known that
the maximum likelihood estimator (MLE) exists with probability one if
the number of observations is at least as large as the number of
variables. We examine the situation with fewer samples for bipartite
graphs and grids. Taking an algebraic approach we find the first example
of a graph for which the MLE exists with probability one even when the
number of observations equals the treewidth of the underlying graph.
*

*2)Title and Abstract of*Victor Panaretos:
*
*Second-Order Comparison of Random Functions and DNA Geometry*

Given two samples of continuous zero-mean iid Gaussian random functions
on [0,1], we consider the problem of testing whether they share the same
covariance operator. Our study is motivated by the problem of
determining whether the mechanical properties of short strands of DNA
are significantly affected by their base-pair sequence; though expected
to be true, this effect had so far not been observed in
three-dimensional electron microscopy data. The testing problem is seen
to involve aspects of ill-posed inverse problems and a test based on a
KarhunenLo�ve approximation of the HilbertSchmidt distance of the
empirical covariance operators is proposed and investigated. When
applied to a dataset of DNA minicircles obtained through the electron
microscope, our test seems to suggest potential sequence effects on DNA
shape.

Both abstracts are also to be found under the following link:
http://stat.ethz.ch/events/research_seminar

--
ETH Z�rich
Seminar f�r Statistik