[Statlist] Talk on Statistics October 31, 2008

Cecilia Rey rey @end|ng |rom @t@t@m@th@ethz@ch
Mon Oct 27 15:08:36 CET 2008

Invitation to a talk in the series Seminar über Statistik

Friday, October 31, 2008,  15.15 - 17.00
in LEO C6, Leonhardstrasse 27, 8092 Zurich

//'Risk hull method for inverse problems' by Laurent Cavalier,
Université Aix-Marseille

We study a standard method of regularization by projections of the
linear inverse problem
$Y=Af+\epsilon$, where $\epsilon $ is a white Gaussian noise, and A is a
known compact operator
with singular values  converging to zero with polynomial decay. The
unknown function f is recovered by a projection method using the SVD of
A. The bandwidth choice of this projection regularization is governed by
a data-driven procedure which is based on the principle of the risk hull
minimization. We provide non--asymptotic upper bounds for the mean
square risk of this
method and we show, in particular, that in numerical simulations, this
approach may substantially improve the classical method of unbiased risk
estimation.

The abstract can also be found under the following link:
http://stat.ethz.ch/talks/research_seminar/2008.

Listeners are welcome!

--
ETH Zürich
Cecilia Rey-Lutz	          rey using stat.math.ethz.ch