[Statlist] talks on statistics

Christina Kuenzli kuenz|| @end|ng |rom @t@t@m@th@ethz@ch
Tue May 13 16:52:25 CEST 2008

                  ETH and University of Zurich

                           Proff.
         A.D. Barbour - P. Buehlmann - F. Hampel - L. Held

           H.R. Kuensch - M. Maathuis - S. van de Geer

           We are glad to announce the following talks

          Friday, May 16, 2008, 15.15-17.30, LEO C6

          Non-asymptotic variable identification via the Lasso
          and the elastic net
          Florentina Bunea, Florida State University

          Friday, May 23, 2008, 15.15-16.00, LEO C6

          Conditioned Limit Theorems:
          Does the Story End with a Bang or a Whimper?
          Sidney Resnick, Cornell University, Ithaca

Multivariate extreme value theory assumes a multivariate domain of
attraction condition for the distribution of a random vector necessitating
that each component satisfy a marginal domain of attraction condition.
Heffernan and Tawn (2004) followed by Heffernan and Resnick (2007)
developed an approximation to the joint distribution of the random vector by
conditioning that  one of  the components be extreme. Prior papers left
unresolved the consistency of different models obtained by conditioning on
different components being extreme and we provide understanding of this
issue. We also clarify the relationship between the conditional
distributions and  multivariate extreme value theory. We discuss conditions
under which the two models are the same and when one can extend the
conditional model to the extreme value model. We also discuss the
relationship between the conditional extreme value model and standard
regular variation on different cones.
Joint work with B. Das (Cornell) and J. Heffernan (Lancaster)

         Friday, May 23, 2008, 16.15-17.00, LEO C6

         Design and analysis of time to pregnancy
         Niels Keiding, University of Copenhagen, DK

  Time to pregnancy is the duration from a couple starts trying to become
  pregnant until they succeed and is considered one of the most direct
  methods to measure natural fecundity in humans. Statistical tools for
  designing and analysing time to pregnancy studies belong to the general
  area of survival analysis, but several special features require special
  attention. I will survey prospective designs, including historically
  prospective and prevalent cohort, retrospective (pregnancy-based)
  designs, and focus particularly on the possibilities to start from a
  cross-sectional sample of couples currently trying to be come
  pregnant. The latter case corresponds to using the backward recurrence
  time as basis for the inference, and here the preferable statistical
  model turns out to be the accelerated failure time model.

  The talk will be illustrated by examples from our own experience.