[Statlist] talks on statistics

Christina Kuenzli kuenz|| @end|ng |rom @t@t@m@th@ethz@ch
Thu Oct 4 15:08:28 CEST 2007

                  ETH and University of Zurich

                           Proff.
         A.D. Barbour - P. Buehlmann - F. Hampel - L. Held
                  H.R. Kuensch - S. van de Geer

           We are glad to announce the following talks

     Friday, October 5th, 2007  15.15h  LEO C 6

     Structure Learning in Nested Effects Models

     Achim Tresch, IMBEI, University of Mainz, Germany

Nested Effects Models (NEMs) are a class of graphical models introduced
to analyze the results of gene perturbation screens. NEMs explore noisy
subset relations between the high-dimensional outputs of phenotyping
studies, e.g. the effects showing in gene expression profiles or as
morphological features of the perturbed cell.
After a short introduction to the NEM formalism, we expand the
statistical basis of NEMs in four directions: First, we prove model
identifiability under mild assumptions. Second, we show that the new
formulation of the likelihood allows to efficiently traverse model
space. Third, we incorporate prior knowledge and an automated variable
selection criterion to decrease the influence of noise in the data.
Fourth, we extend the NEM formalism to model multiple perturbations.We
show the results of a NEM analysis of two microarray data sets of RNA
interference experiments in drosophila and human.

     Friday, October 19, 2007  15.15h  LEO C 6

     The effect of miss-specified baseline characteristics on
     inference for longitudinal trends in linear mixed models

     Geert Verbeke, Biostatistical Centre K.U.Leuven, Belgium

Christina Kuenzli            <kuenzli using stat.math.ethz.ch>
Seminar fuer Statistik
Leonhardstr. 27,  LEO D11      phone: +41 (0)44 632 3438
ETH-Zentrum,                   fax  : +41 (0)44 632 1228
CH-8092 Zurich, Switzerland        http://stat.ethz.ch/~