[Statlist] Seminar ueber Statistik

Christina Kuenzli kuenz|| @end|ng |rom @t@t@m@th@ethz@ch
Wed May 31 09:53:34 CEST 2006

              ETH and University of Zurich

                           Proff.
         A.D. Barbour - P. Buehlmann - F. Hampel
              H.R. Kuensch - S. van de Geer

    We are pleased to announce the following talks

Friday, June 1, 2006, 15.15, LEO C 15

       Learning to adapt in classification

       Bernadetta Tarigan, Seminar für Statistik, ETH Zürich

We learn the binary classification problem with hinge loss. We consider
classifiers that are linear combinations of base functions and we put an
l-1 penalty on the coefficients. Under certain conditions on the base
functions, hinge loss with this complexity penalty is shown to adapt to
both the unknown complexity and margin parameters.

Friday, June 9, 2006, 15.15, LEO C 15

       Statistical inferences in linear mixed-effects models

       Douglas Bates, University of Wisconsin, USA

Christina Kuenzli            <kuenzli using stat.math.ethz.ch>
Seminar fuer Statistik
Leonhardstr. 27,  LEO D11      phone: +41 (0)44 632 3438
ETH-Zentrum,                   fax  : +41 (0)44 632 1228
CH-8092 Zurich, Switzerland        http://stat.ethz.ch/~