[Statlist] Seminar ueber Statistik

Christina Kuenzli kuenz|| @end|ng |rom @t@t@m@th@ethz@ch
Mon Jan 10 09:44:40 CET 2005

                       ETH and University of Zurich
      Proff. A.D. Barbour -- P. Buehlmann -- F. Hampel -- H.R. Kuensch

           We are pleased to announce the following talk

Friday, January 14, 2005, 15.15 h, LEO C 15

        Modeling Neuromotor Ratings with Floor Effects

        Valentin Rousson, Biostatistics, University of Zurich

Associated movements (AMs) are a classical diagnostic tool to assess
differences between normal children and children with some motor
dysfunction. This talk will present a methodology to produce age- and
gender-dependent reference-curves for AMs of normal children, for various
tasks of a test battery. Data available consist of separate ratings of
duration and extent of AMs, which are ordinal quantities with few levels.
Another problem are severe age- and gender-dependent floor-effects (as
well as some ceiling-effects), leaving little information for analysis at
older ages. To get a better scale, we combined the two ordinal ratings
into one meaningful and quasi-continuous quantity referred to as intensity
of AMs. In order to solve problems due to floor-effects, ceiling-effects
and discreteness, we assumed left-censored, right-censored and
interval-censored values, respectively. We considered hence a censored
regression problem and postulated a truncated normal distribution for the
non-censored values (after an appropriate transformation of the data).
Using Tanner and Wei's poor man's data augmentation algorithm, together
with the technique of linear mixed effects modeling, useful
reference-curves could be produced. We could therefore calculate
individual age- and gender-standardized values, which puts us in a
position to investigate numerous interesting scientific questions.

          The next seminar is scheduled for January 21th, 2005.
                          More information soon.

(LEO (Leonhardstrasse 27, 8006 Zurich) is close to the main building,
across the hill-side station of the 'Polybahn')
Overview maps of ETH : http://www.ethz.ch/search/orientation_en.asp
Christina Kuenzli            <kuenzli using stat.math.ethz.ch>
Seminar fuer Statistik
Leonhardstr. 27,  LEO D11          phone: +41 1 632 3438
ETH-Zentrum,                       fax  : +41 1 632 1228
CH-8092 Zurich, Switzerland        http://stat.ethz.ch/~