[Statlist] Seminar ueber Statistik

Christina Kuenzli kuenz|| @end|ng |rom @t@t@m@th@ethz@ch
Mon Jun 14 10:17:52 CEST 2004

                       ETH and University of Zurich
      Proff. A.D. Barbour -- P. Buehlmann -- F. Hampel -- H.R. Kuensch

           We are pleased to announce the following seminars

Friday, June 18, 2004, 15.15 LEO C 15

     Arnaud Doucet, University of Cambridge

     Sequential Monte Carlo Samplers

In this talk, we develop a general methodology to sample from a
sequence of probability distributions defined on a common space.
We propose to approximate these distributions by a large set of random
samples evolving over time using simple sampling and resampling
mechanisms. This methodology yields a principled
way to make parallel Markov chain Monte Carlo runs interact and it also
allows us to derive new algorithms to perform global optimization or
to solve sequential Bayesian estimation problems. This talk is illustrated
by several complex examples arising in Bayesian inference. Convergence
results will also be presented.

Friday, July 2, 2004, 15.15 LEO C 15

     Per Mykland, University of Chicago

     The determinatin of time-varying volatility:
     A tale of two time scales

(LEO (Leonhardstrasse 27, 8006 Zurich) is close to the main building,
across the hill-side station of the 'Polybahn')
Overview maps of ETH : http://www.ethz.ch/search/orientation_en.asp

Further information: Christina Kuenzli, Statistics Seminar of ETH Zurich

Everybody is kindly invited

Eidgenoessische Technische Hochschule Zuerich
Swiss Federal Insitute of Technology Zurich
Christina Kuenzli            <kuenzli using stat.math.ethz.ch>
Seminar fuer Statistik
Leonhardstr. 27,  LEO D11          phone: +41 1 632 3438
ETH-Zentrum,                       fax  : +41 1 632 1228
CH-8092 Zurich, Switzerland        http://stat.ethz.ch/~