stabledist

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Mon Oct 29 12:27:56 CET 2012

Dear Oliver
(I'm writing in English because of the CC).

On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 12:20 PM, Kley, Oliver <oliver.kley at tum.de> wrote:
> Lieber Herr Maechler,
>
> ich wollte das stabledist package von rmetrics installieren, wie im wiki beschrieben:
>

> The script installs all Rmetrics packages from your default CRAN repository ('repos'). This will ensure that all packages are up-to-date.
>
> Open an R process and type the following :
>
>    source("http://www.rmetrics.org/Rmetrics.R")
>    install.Rmetrics()
>

> allerdings, neben der installation zahlreicher pakete, kam insbesondere die folgende meldung, in deren vorletzter zeile steht, dass stabledist nicht verfuegbar ist --koennen Sie mir weiterhelfen?
>

> + source("http://www.rmetrics.org/Rmetrics.R")
> +    install.Rmetrics()
> Warning in install.packages(pkgs = pkgs, ...) :
>   argument 'lib' is missing: using '/usr/local/lib/R/site-library'
> Warning in install.packages(pkgs = pkgs, ...) :
>   'lib = "/usr/local/lib/R/site-library"' is not writable
> --- Please select a CRAN mirror for use in this session ---
> Warning: dependency ‘stabledist’ is not available
> also installing the dependencies ‘numDeriv’, ‘DistributionUtils’, ‘GeneralizedHyperbolic’

Yes, indeed this is a bug in the  install.Rmetrics() function;
Unfortunately, even though I'm part of Rmetrics-core,
I have no write access to  http://www.rmetrics.org/Rmetrics.R
which defines the  install.Rmetrics() function  and so I cannot fix it.

HOWEVER, there is an easy workaround:
do

install.packages("stabledist")

before doing the other installations.

Please let me know if you have problems, observe pecularities, ... in package
'stabledist'.

Best regards,
Martin Mächler