Use of R internal entry points in packages IBDsim and timeSeries

Magnus Dehli Vigeland magnusdv at studmed.uio.no
Fri Aug 10 14:03:54 CEST 2012

 On Wed, 01 Aug 2012 13:52:32 +0100, Prof Brian Ripley
 <ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
> We see in R CMD check in current R-devel
>
> * checking foreign function calls ... WARNING
> Foreign function call(s) with ‘PACKAGE’ argument in a base package:
>   .C("find_interv_vec", ..., PACKAGE = "base")
>
> This is not part of the R API and will be removed shortly.
>
> Your uses of it are in any case incorrect and dangerous (e.g.
> length() does not need to return an integer and might be NA: see its
> help page).
>
> Please remove this from your code (and be aware that such calls are
> seen as prime facie evidence of copying from the R sources, which you
> have not acknowledged).

 Hi,
 I have now uploaded a new version of IBDsim (IBDsim_0.9-2.tar.gz) to
 CRAN without any such internal code calls.

 In normal use of this package findInternal() is called many hundred
 thousand times, so the cost reduction by calling the internal C code
 directly was quite substantial. I guess the best option is to create my
 own version in C, then.

 Thanks for your patience,
 Magnus

--