as.Date.timeDate

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Tue Oct 18 18:18:10 CEST 2011

    > While the change is caused by the second generic in zoo
    > (which was necessitated by a change in R), note that the
    > de facto standard set by the base package is to export all
    > as.Date methods.

that's not a "standard" but rather a kludge or
a "historical coincidence" / an accidental reference to the past
or ....
as far as I see it...

Really this should be discussed on R-devel, Gabor.

    >   As we see, none of these methods are asterisked:

    >> methods(as.Date)
    > [1] as.Date.character as.Date.date      as.Date.dates     as.Date.default
    > [5] as.Date.factor    as.Date.numeric   as.Date.POSIXct   as.Date.POSIXlt

    > If timeDate follows the same standard then there will be no problem.

Well, that's rather a *NON*-standard.
The only reason I can think of currently that
"base R" does not properly hide these is because they were
already (mis)used in other CRAN packages.

But I don't see why timeDate should have to do the same thing
which is "wrong" and recommended against typically in several
places ("Writing R Extensions").

Of course, if there's no better solution, that's still a
possibility, but this whole approach  "smells a bit bad" to me.

Martin

    > On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 8:58 AM, Yohan Chalabi <chalabi at phys.ethz.ch> wrote:
    >> Hi Gabor,
    >>
    >> Thanks for the message.
    >>
    >> As mentioned in the r-sig-finance, timeDate already exports as.Date.timeDate.
    >>
    >> The problem is really coming from zoo which overwrites the base function as.Date and do not import as.Date methods from other packages.

I still think