as.Date.timeDate

Achim Zeileis Achim.Zeileis at uibk.ac.at
Tue Oct 18 15:15:34 CEST 2011

Yohan:

> Thanks for the message.
>
> As mentioned in the r-sig-finance, timeDate already exports
> as.Date.timeDate.

Maybe we should have been more precise in our request: It would be great
if "timeDate" could fully export "as.Date.timeDate" and not only as an S3
method.

> The problem is really coming from zoo which overwrites the base function
> as.Date and do not import as.Date methods from other packages.

Yes, true. However, to make the dependency path not longer than it already
is, it would be nice if you could fully export your method. Then it is
found by both generics - the one in base R and the one in zoo.

If you're wondering why zoo masks as.Date(). After zoo had long provided
an as.Date.numeric, base R decided to break that by adding their own that
requires an additional "origin" argument without default. For several
year's we worked around this by simply replacing base:::as.Date.numeric in
the base NAMESPACE when loading zoo. Then, R-core decided to disallow this
workaround and now we have to ship our own generic to assure correct
dispatch.

Thanks & best regards,