Question on Extreme Value Calibration - Generalised Pareto Distribution

James Sharpe jamesasharpe at hotmail.co.uk
Sun Aug 21 21:38:48 CEST 2011

Hello,

I am working as part of the Extreme Events Working Party with
the UK Institute of Actuaries.  We
have looked at the QRMlib package and the fExtremes package for use in R to
calibrate the Generalised Pareto Distribution.  Using the attached data we found
nearly identical results for calibrating the GPD using the maximum likelihood
estimate; but quite different results for the probability weighted moments
estimate.

Could I ask if you are aware of this issue – or found
something similar?  The code
used is below:

setwd("C:/EVT")

a<-read.csv("returns.csv",header=T)

attach(a)

library(QRMlib)

library(fExtremes)

k<-c(UK,AUD,BEL,CAN,DEN,FRA,GER,IRE,ITA,JAP,NET,SAF,SPA,SWE,SWZ,US)

Data<--GER

fGPD<-gpdFit(Data,0.1)

GPD<-fit.GPD(Data,0.1)

fGPDpwm<-gpdFit(Data,0.05,type =
"pwm")

GPDpwm<-fit.GPD(Data,0.05,method="pwm")

GPD$par.ests

GPDpwm$par.ests

fGPD

fGPDpwm

I tried with various data strings and
thresholds in the table below highlighting the difference in the PWM
calibration method:

  Threshold
  -1%

  99.5th

  Xi

  UK

  MLE
  QRMlib

  42.2%

  0.0338

  0.0979

  PWM
  QRMlib

  47.9%

  0.1643

  0.0847

  MLE
  fExtreme

  42.3%

  0.0339

  0.0979

  PWM
  fExtreme

  44.0%

  0.0760

  0.0936

  France

  MLE
  QRMlib

  37.2%

  -0.2432

  0.1401

  PWM
  QRMlib

  43.1%

  -0.0809

  0.1213

  MLE
  fExtreme

  37.2%

  -0.2430

  0.1401

  PWM
  fExtreme

  39.2%

  -0.1801

  0.1325

  Germany

  MLE
  QRMlib

  69.5%

  -0.0134

  0.1729

  PWM
  QRMlib

  72.3%

  0.0248

  0.1664

  MLE
  fExtreme

  69.5%

  -0.0134

  0.1729

  PWM
  fExtreme

  66.0%

  -0.0644

  0.1816

  Italy

  MLE
  QRMlib

  45.9%

  -0.3418

  0.2030

  PWM
  QRMlib

  48.2%

  -0.2821

  0.1934

  MLE
  fExtreme

  45.9%

  -0.3418

  0.2030

  PWM
  fExtreme

  43.9%

  -0.3946

  0.2104

  Spain

  MLE
  QRMlib

  35.4%

  -0.2968

  0.1463

  PWM
  QRMlib

  41.5%

  -0.1071

  0.1236

  MLE
  fExtreme

  35.4%

  -0.2963

  0.1462

  PWM
  fExtreme

  37.7%

  -0.2124

  0.1353

I would be interested to know if you have any ideas where
the approach may differ eg different sub algorithms used, different calculation
order etc... Any pointers would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks

Best regards

James Sharpe