[R-SIG-Finance] error message from portfolioFrontier function

thomas.chan.sf at boci-pru.com.hk thomas.chan.sf at boci-pru.com.hk
Wed Dec 29 06:14:20 CET 2010

Hello,

I have used the portfolioFrontier function a few times unsuccessfully using
the following codes.

> prets = as.timeSeries(prets)
> Spec = portfolioSpec()
> setNFrontierPoints(boxSpec) = 25
> pconstraints = c("minW[1:10] = 0.00","maxW[1:10] = .3")
> pFrontier = portfolioFrontier(data = prets, spec = Spec, constraints =
pconstraints)

Here is the consistent error message:

Execution stopped:
  The minimum risk portfolio could not be computed.
Possible Reason:
  Your portfolio constraints may be too restrictive.
Status Information:
  status=1 from solver solveRquadprog.
Error:
  returned from Rmetrics
The input file is attached. The time series is short. But the error
messages are the same even if I use a longer time series, multiply the
returns by 100, etc. (See attached file: prets.Rdata)Any suggestion would
be greatly appreciated! I am a new R user. It would be great if it is
something that I can handle.

Regards,

Thomas Chan
BOCI-Prudential Asset Management Limited

|------------>
| From:      |
|------------>
  |"Brian G. Peterson" <brian at braverock.com>                                                                                               |
  >----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| To:        |
|------------>
  |Mark Gordon <mgordon at mcphedge.com>                                                                                                      |
  >----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| Cc:        |
|------------>
  |alex.rudnev at gmail.com, thomas.chan.sf at boci-pru.com.hk                                                                                   |
  >----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| Date:      |
|------------>
  >----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |29/12/2010 05:42                                                                                                                        |
  >----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| Subject:   |
|------------>
  >----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |Re: [R-SIG-Finance] error message from portfolioFrontier function                                                                       |

On 12/28/2010 03:27 PM, Mark Gordon wrote:
> Please see my posting on December 2, 2010 regarding this problem.  The
> problem is not with the FORTRAN code, it is with the R code.  I showed a
> work around that I use to be able to run minriskPortfolio.  How can we
> get the  package corrected?
>
> I apologize for responding off-list, but my prior posting appears to
> have been lost in the crowd.

While I am the maintainer of many R/Finance packages, I am neither the
author nor maintainer of the RMetrics packages.

So, the usual method is that you would send a well-formed email to the
individual listed as the 'Maintainer' of the package.

In this case,

Rmetrics Core Team <Rmetrics-core at r-project.org>

Regards,

   - Brian