Misuse of 8-bit characters in packages fBasics, fUtilities and rgr

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Apr 23 14:57:15 CEST 2010

These packages generate 8-bit characters in the examples for

fBasics: characterTable
fOptions: the same (and why is the same example in two packages?)
rgr: display.alts

This simply is not valid in MBCS locales, notably UTF-8, and the
Solaris tests (which use a different iconv from glibc) are failing as
you can see in the CRAN check logs.  Do take a look at your examples
in a UTF-8 locale ... I get lots of 'broken' boxes.

I suggest you should rethink what you are trying to do, but at the
least these sections need to be inside

if(!l10n.info()$MBCS) {
}

For characterTable, the example in ?points seems to me to do a much
better job *and* the authors had the sense to put all but the ASCII
cases inside try().

Brian Ripley

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk