[OGRUG] Newbie needs help with plot

Martin Potter mpotter @end|ng |rom @torm@c@
Tue Sep 15 02:03:47 CEST 2020

Hello,

Newbie here with a newbie question.

I have a time series of voltage measurements, two independent
variables (DoM and HoD) and one dependent (VAC) variable.  My csv file
was imported into R and now the 3-column table of values appears in
the upper left panel of RStudio.  Good so far.

I succeeded in getting the expected matrix of plots using the 'pairs'
function :

pairs(Voltage_202004, cex=1, pch=16, cex.labels = 2)

so that works fine.

But I have not been able to get any plots using 'plot', or variants of
it, and get only errors, usually of the "object 'HoD' not found" variety.

I suspect I need to declare my variable names somehow so that R will
know what I am asking it to do, but have not been able to figure out
how to do that.  There might be other things I need to do as well!

Could someone show me an example of (1) how to declare my variables
and (2) exactly what an xy plot command should look like, using my
variable names (DoM, HoD, and VAC), plotting VAC against either DoM or
HoD?

Thanks for any help with this!  All of my Help material seems very
abstract at this point, and so far has not be of much help to me. Many
years ago I cut my teeth on FORTRAN and soon graduated to assembler
language on a DEC PDP-8 in a small data acquisition and processing
lab, before moving on to other jobs.  Since then the vocabulary seems
to have changed considerably and this now almost-80-year-old gets
easily confused.

... Martin Potter