[OGRUG] " departments are concerned about security" [Forked from: "Centres of ExpeRtise within GOC"]

Joseph Potvin jpotvin at xalgorithms.org
Tue Aug 9 22:45:54 CEST 2016

RE: "this issue may make a few directors nervous"

Yup. And they should be much more nervous when they are not allowed to
independently validate the integrity of software that GC and Canadians
depend upon. (Unfortunately, many rely on supplier marketing materials,
confident proposal text, and f2f meetings with suppliers.)

Here's another "oldie" (from 1999): this one is an explanation for a
Washington State Dept of Transportation office about why bridge engineering
software ought to be fre/libre/open:
http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/eesc/bridge/alternateroute/about.htm

Joseph Potvin
Executive Director, Xalgorithms Foundation
Mobile: 819-593-5983
jpotvin at xalgorithms.org
https://www.xalgorithms.org