[OGRUG] Multi-agent modeling including geospatial data

Paul Gilbert pgilbert902 at gmail.com
Thu May 29 17:28:14 CEST 2014

R has several useful tools for dealing with and plotting geospatial
data. There may be speed considerations around data extraction, local
calculation or server, network speed, etc, as been discussed in the
"Interactive geospatial data with Leaflet ..." thread. Specific code
examples can make it a bit easier to focus on speed issues.

On the other part of Joseph's question, regarding multi-agent modelling,
I am not aware of good solutions in R. (That does not mean they don't
exist and I would be interested to hear if anyone knows of something.)
Multi-agent modelling covers a lot of things and this is not my field,
but in the examples I have seen there are two sorts of problems that
make R less than ideal. The first is that the problems do not easily
"vectorize", which means speed is a problem. Typically, even with
compiled languages, speed is an issue for these models and people are
looking toward multi-core, cluster, or GPU processing. The second is the
need for a "language" to define the model. These languages tend to be
somewhat specialized to the problem domain. Once you decide on a
language to define the model, the underlying computer language for doing
the computation is largely hidden.

My approach to this would be to first consider the many already defined
languages for multi-agent modelling (see e.g.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_agent-based_modeling_software),
and then look at whether an interface from R to one of these would be
useful for doing plotting, summary statistics, etc, with the existing
modelling software handling the main computation. I have done this sort
of thing with some econometric modelling software and it can be
relatively simple. R is fairly good at interfacing to other things.

Paul