[OGRUG] coursera

Prof J C Nash (U30A) nashjc at uottawa.ca
Thu May 15 16:10:28 CEST 2014

For what it's worth, I tried the coursera site but experienced a couple
of problems in Firefox, but not Chromium (though see below).

I use NoScript in Firefox, and coursera is wildly script-happy. I
suspect it can easily be a nasty vector for malware. Consequently, I
could not get started with coursera in my instantiation of Firefox.

Thought I would tell them about this, since the messages will confuse
the unwary. Then I found that they have a dead "contact" link. Not good.

This is a complaint about coursera. Roger's R course looks pretty good
for beginners. I've not quite figured out how it might be used for those
with some knowledge. My guess is that there is a real need for ways to
"join in the middle" in a sensible way, and that is a very tricky
teaching/learning issue.

Best, JN