[OGRUG] Examples using Oracle

Paul Gilbert pgilbert902 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 18:34:43 CEST 2014

There are really two separate questions here: how to import data from
Oracle? and how to make a graph in R?

For the second, there are lots of examples ( eg
http://rgraphgallery.blogspot.ca/ ).

The first is more difficult to find examples because one needs access to
an Oracle database. If you have that and some standard SQL queries that
extract the data you want then we can probably work out some examples. I
don't currently have Oracle, but standard SQL queries are not very
different from one engine to another. (It is the enhancements that are
different.)

It is the installation of the R packages that is likely to be most
difficult. The two options are packages ROracle and RODBC.  I would
generally prefer ROracle unless your database administrators are
enforcing use of ODBC only. Certainly I would not recommend RODBC unless
it is supported on the database end.

Paul