[R-SIG-Win] Changelog for Rtools42

Tomas Kalibera tom@@@k@||ber@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Thu Apr 28 16:29:16 CEST 2022

On 4/14/22 05:08, Avraham Adler wrote:
> Hi, Tomas.
>
> Is there a changelog for Rtools42 anywhere; something that would
> explain the difference between 5111 and 5168, for example? Copying
> r-sig-windows for reference.

Hi Avi,

for now one can only find out directly from the subversion, as shown
here. In short, there is no fundamental change affecting package authors.

(1)

svn diff -r 5111:5168
https://svn.r-project.org/R-dev-web/trunk/WindowsBuilds/winutf8/ucrt3/toolchain_libs

gives you the diff for the toolchain and libraries.

C++ library is built with more precise timers. This is not by default in
MXE, but I added that to match Msys2 and the previous behavior, on which
package benchr depends, so this fixed the package.

Then, the distribution of the cross toolchain has been improved. There
are new sections in the documentation about using the cross-compilers
and setting up the build tree from the distributed files so that you
don't have to build Rtools from scratch. This is useful for people
wanting to contribute to Rtools (and hence MXE).

(2)

svn diff -r 5111:5168
https://svn.r-project.org/R-dev-web/trunk/WindowsBuilds/winutf8/ucrt3/rtools

shows nothing, so no changes in rtools build scripts

In addition, Rtools42 also have the Msys2 part, which is current when
Rtools is built. But I am not aware of a fundamental change that would
impact R package authors.

Best
Tomas