[R-SIG-Win] Install multiple versions of Rtools

JJ Allaire jj.allaire at gmail.com
Sun Oct 2 02:29:32 CEST 2016

You can do the following:

1) Add the Rtools bin directory (e.g. C:\Rtools33\bin) to the PATH (so it
can find make, etc.)

2) Define  BINPREF environment variables as seen here:
https://github.com/RcppCore/Rcpp/blob/master/R/Attributes.R#L766-L767

Note that creating a valid path to the root Rtools directory is a bit
finicky so we have this helper function:
https://github.com/RcppCore/Rcpp/blob/master/R/Attributes.R#L780-L790.
Here's a C++ version of the same function that we use in RStudio:
https://github.com/rstudio/rstudio/blob/db703b6aff4f4136532e99bb1f2c081fe77f5601/src/cpp/core/r_util/RToolsInfo.cpp#L39-L46