[R-wiki] R jargon

Philippe Grosjean phgrosjean at sciviews.org
Mon Aug 16 12:52:41 CEST 2010

One thing that can be done is to update the list of abbreviations to
include R specific terms. The Wiki adds automatically a little tooltip
text with the definition that is activated each time the user moves the
mouse cursor on top of the word.

A page with the definitions would be worth too.

Regarding the mitigate success of the Wiki, that contrasts with other
languages where the wiki is really the primary source of information (I
think at Tcl/Tk, for instance). I think the reason is the other
"channels" of information are pre-existing the R wiki, and people are
used to them. Regarding R blogs, the reason is different: it looks more
technically up-to-date to have and use a blog than a wiki... although I
think the wiki is better for collaborative writing of documentation in a
centralized place.

The "wikified" version of help pages with a discussion section was, I
think, a good idea but I never got the time to finalize the plugin and
to install a system that automatically synch wiki versions of help pages
with latest version, ... as intended.

Now, the new HTTP help server introduced in R 2.10 opens new
perspectives. If someone is connected to the Internet, it should be
possible to add the discussion section of the corresponding wiki page at
the bottom of the regular help page. Hence, every user that would add
this feature (by means of a rwiki package that is still to be written)
would get a very easy and convenient access to related wiki pages. Then,
of course, people would have to populate the discussion sections with
short tips, comments, or links to other related wiki pages, ... but the
key feature here would be to bring the R wiki right inside (at the
bottom of) the regular help pages.

That's what I think would be most helpful to leverage the R wiki that
has a lot a nice stuff now (but also other pages of mixed, or even, low
quality, that would require post-processing by R experts... but that's
another problem)!

Best,

Philippe

  ) ) ) ) )
( ( ( ( (    Prof. Philippe Grosjean
  ) ) ) ) )
( ( ( ( (    Numerical Ecology of Aquatic Systems
  ) ) ) ) )   Mons University, Belgium
( ( ( ( (