[R-wiki] Site down?

Philippe Grosjean Philippe.Grosjean at umh.ac.be
Tue Nov 7 10:53:51 CET 2006

Hello,

Indeed, the R Wiki server is down. I am away from my office (meetings),
but I just phone to the computer department in charge of the servers at
the University. They are currently looking at the problem.

To answer to legitimate Martin's questions:
 >      - What happens if you are in vacation, sick,...

As I said, it is the computer staff of the University that is in charge
of the servers. But, they have to be warned of the problem before they
can do something about it. Perhaps should we install a system that pols
the Wiki server regularly and issues a warning automatically when
something happens? I cannot do this without discussion and acceptation
of the computer staff and authorities... which is a long and
administrative process!

 >      -  Who is your "substitute"?

Johan Debergues, Philippe Lievens, or the people in charge of the
servers at the University at the time the problem occurs (emails of
people is simply Name.FamilyName at umh.ac.be).

 >      - Is there a phone number for urgencies?

+32.65.37.34.97, which is the phone in my office, currently.

 >      - What are the emergency measures (and who is responsible) if
 >        the machine crashes?  Backup / Substitute machine / ... ?

Regular (daily) backups of the Wiki content are made on another machine.
I am in charge of that backup, and of restoring the machine in case it
crashes. We currently have no other emergency measures. In particular,
we have no substitute machine installed currently.

We certainly could secure the R Wiki much better. I am open to any
suggestion on this point.

Best,

Philippe Grosjean

P.S.: Please, do warn me in case of problems: I am not working 24h/day
and 7d/week on the R Wiki. So, do not assume that I am aware of the
problem at the time you notice it! In particular, yesterday and today, I
am in meetings, which makes me less prone to notice the problem rapidly!